Part of the role that your Marketing and Communication Advisers will undertake will involve working with the media. You should be kept informed of any communications with the media and make sure that at least one key message is included in all communications.
These key messages are as follows.
- We are for all girls.
- We give girls their own space.
- We give girls a voice.
- We change as the lives of girls change.
In the event of a crisis, don’t respond to any media enquiries – take the caller’s details, say someone will call them back and ring the Girlguiding Press Office (emergency PR line 020 7592 1733/out of hours 07990 553940) where someone will support you.
It is vitally important that your Public Relations Adviser or Marketing and Communications Adviser informs the Girlguiding PR Team of anything that could generate negative or major publicity for the organisation.
The PR Team should be contacted whenever you need support, but especially if there has been:
- a sudden death or serious accident
- any kind of discrimination (including perceived age discrimination) or abuse
- an alleged criminal act
- a police investigation
- a serious complaint
- any other situation you believe may bring guiding or Girlguiding into disrepute.