You may be asked to represent Girlguiding at an event in the wider community. This is a great opportunity to promote guiding in the local area, and can potentially be used as a recruitment opportunity for adult volunteers.
When visiting an event, consider the following to help you prepare and remember that you will be acting as an ambassador for guiding.
- What the event is for – it could be a local volunteer recruitment fair or a meeting with other youth providers in your local area.
- Who is attending – make sure you prepare information relevant to the audience and the context of the event.
- Where it is taking place – appropriate clothing for a meeting at a local business will be greatly different to clothing for a village green.
- What you are expected to do – you may be expected to give a short speech, have an interactive stand or network with members of the community. It is important to know what is expected in advance.
Do not be afraid to approach organisations about guiding members attending events. Keep an eye on the local calendar, noting down any events that need volunteers to help. These can be ideal opportunities and very often you will be allowed to bring recruitment materials.
- Always be enthusiastic at these events and encourage your team to do the same.
- Always use up-to-date marketing and recruitment materials.
- Keep a list of events that Girlguiding attended. This can be used as a reference to show where new members have been recruited.
- Contact your Marketing and Communications Adviser for more help in promoting guiding at local events.